Wednesday, June 23, 2010

lost in translation...

I think Jerome and I are just not very good communicators.

Check out the area where I circled in the photo above.  Giant birdbath, you ask?  Otter swimming pool?  Mausoleum?

We wanted the top edge of this patio to be flush with the rest of the driveway/ground, but that being said, we also knew that there would be a slight step up…however, we didn’t think we had asked for this dramatic of a step up.

It's not always the easiest to convey to someone what you were thinking.  It's also hard to put this into action when you are not home, but at work.

It’s strange but we will work with it…we have to!  Or get out the jackhammer!

The inside edge is just as high as our paver bricks – something we had asked for because the plan is to bring the paver bricks back on this slab.  The slab was just to be used as a nice foundation for the pavers…now it’s a FEATURE!

Last night as we stood looking at this new cement "thing", scratching our heads, we tried to figure out what we were going to do to make it better.  Jerome thinks that if we move the fence and anchor the posts to the top of the ledge, it will give the roses more room and will look a little more like we meant to do this.

We'll see how it goes - none of this will take place until we are back from vacation - Seattle, HERE WE COME!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

getting closer...

They finished removing all the cement down to the apron of the driveway at the street.  Today I assume (daring, aren't I?) they will be cutting the cement they poured yesterday and if the rain holds off, they may start to pour the main driveway.  However they still have to dig out and put in the forms and pour the foundation for the patio...which I feel they could have done when they poured the stamped path and the garage approach.  Now it's going to be a bit trickier.  They still need to add the ledge to the window well too...not sure how much longer all of this will take.  We're leaving for our vacation on Friday.  Maybe we'll have to give Al (the neighbor who takes care of the cats and house when we're gone) the rest of the cash to pay Vince (the cement contractor), since I'm not sure it will be complete by the time we leave.

So, a three day job is turning out to be about twice, if not three times as long.

Friday, June 18, 2010

just so you don't think they haven't made progress...

But that's about it so far - they did their cuts today and put sealer on the stamped path, but that's it.  Hope to see them on Monday, so that they can finish before we leave for vacation.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

touchdown jesus...

I'm not sure why this story made me laugh; maybe the irony but earlier this week the statue was hit by lightning and engulfed in flames.

I was looking at the story all day that day - the YouTube video of it burning and then what was left afterward - just the steel structure with its stick arms outstretched to heaven - and laughed.

I learned about this Butter Jesus, as it was also known, by going to Roadside America website to figure out what kind of cool things we would find along our road trip with Jerome's siblings two summers ago.  Jesus was one of the many roadside attractions that we encountered.

I guess it's sad that this very gaudy statue is gone...but no worries, the church is accepting donations to have it rebuilt.  Butter Jesus will be back!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

today's driveway update...

This is the exciting part for me; a little stamped path from the back door to the limestone steps!

Oh, and btw, this is our 5th anniversary of getting the keys to the house!

Friday, June 11, 2010


May 3rd we started getting estimates for removal and replacement of our driveway.  We started that early because we were hoping that by the end of May, it would all be done and over with and we could enjoy the rest of the spring.  I was hoping that it wouldn't interfere with the plants growing and that it would then give us time to clean things up before we would have any parties or people over the house.

We were given very similar estimates and so the decision was based on personality.  This guy seemed like an up-front guy - but I'm not the best judge of character.

The contractor, Vince told us that they would start in 3 weeks...end of May.  Perfect.

Then it became June 5.  OK.

Then the 9th...then the 11th...

8:30am, got a call.

I want to believe that he was thinking in our best interests today when he told us that he wouldn't be coming.  He claimed that it was going to storm and that all the material that he would be putting down today he was afraid that it would wash away, down the driveway and into the street.  Plus, earlier in the week I had told him that we were having a party this weekend and I feel he used that information against us.

He says he'll be here Monday at 7:30am.  So far next week looks like good weather.  I surely hope so.  Gotta get it done in the following two weeks, otherwise we'll be in Seattle.  And it would kill me to be postponed behind other "jobs".